Thoughts from Pasteur Yvette Rabemila
Pasteur Yvette Rabemila was one of the founders of Money for Madagascar. Thirty years on and she is still an active supporter of MfM and is also a highly respected member of Madagascar’s civil society. Her career has included working for the Council for World Mission in London, lecturing at the Faculty of Theology in Antananarivo and serving as Vice-President to the Federation of Protestant Churches in Madagascar (FJKM). At a recent gathering she gave a moving speech about her hopes and wishes for Madagascar and we are delighted to share it with you. Her speech goes like this:
" If I had a magic wand I would wish:
· That our beloved country of Madagascar gets out of the poverty into which the poor have been placed.
· That we don’t see any more very young children, and the not so young, begging everywhere in town and that they would go to school.
· That our youth find the jobs, which suit them.
· That peace, justice and righteousness become something familiar to everyone.
· That everyone’s right to live in peace be respected and that there is no corruption anywhere.
· That this would mean that all those who govern the country, whether elected or appointed are put in their positions without any suspicious or corrupt ways.
· That the use of money everywhere may be the right one, taking into account, first of all, the needs of vulnerable people.
· That everyone can have access to free health facilities.
· That the whole population can take advantage of the great wealth of the country under the ground (gold and numerous precious stones), on the ground (precious wood, agricultural resources), in the sea (oil and fish of all kinds). Even the sun is an unlimited source of energy.
Unfortunately, for the time being, only a tiny minority of Malagasy people are multi-millionaires, while more that 95% of us live in extreme poverty and the situation is getting even worse every day. These are some of the things I would wish for my country if I had a magic wand. But even if I don’t have a magic wand I still have these things to long for."